MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC37 Review

Tuesday, May 19, 2015


Update: I recently got hold of a sample of NC40 and I don't really like it, it's rather neutral and looks orange on me. I think I've tried so many foundations and foundation shades that have a more truer yellow / olive in them that compliment my skin better, that I find NC40 doesn't have enough now. MAC NC40 was my first foundation that I tried after the constant let downs from pink drugstore foundations so whatever yellow / olive it does have in it was a lot better than the drugstore foundations which is why I thought it was really yellow. But it's actually more on the neutral side.

This is probably THE first foundation I heard of years and years and years ago. I knew it to be of a matte finish and one for the oily girls. During my trialling with the Studio Sculpt and the beauty blender dupe I realised that No.1: the Studio Sculpt was rather moisturising on me, a bit too moisturising so it had the tendency to get a little oily and wasn't lasting very long on me. And No.2: the beauty blender was miraculously taking out ALL the hard work and struggle I had with foundation application and finish, it made my foundations look flawless, hence why I started to look at foundations in a new light. 

I thought I'd pick up a sample of the Studio Fix Fluid in NC40. I went home and tried it and was pleasantly surprised at how yellow it was, I looked more golden than usual but I thought it actually looked good! It did make me look a little too yellow but I could deal with that. I used it for the following Eid and mixed it with a lighter foundation to tone down the yellow a bit. It went well, I was commented at how flawless my skin looked and just as I had hoped, it lasted longer than the Studio Sculpt did. I actually didn't find it too cakey or drying on my prone-to-dry combo skin. I obviously moisturised well and I mixed some liquid highlighter into it which I think helped. 



Since I liked the foundation I decided to buy the full size bottle but decided to go down a shade to NC37, thinking that the yellow would go down a notch and be a better match to my skin than the overly yellow NC40. Unfortunately the NC37 wasn't yellow enough and was too peachy undertoned for my yellow skin. I should have stuck to the NC40. I can easily get away with it, since I wear a hijab the face neck difference is concealed, but I prefer to wear foundations that are as close as possible to my skintone. 

Also I noticed that the NC37 oxidises, so it becomes more orange! I'm not sure if the NC40 will do the same, it probably will because I've heard MAC SFF oxidises. I also once mixed in some oil to make it more dewy and moisturising and boy did it turn super orange! You'll see it in the next few swatches!! It's rather difficult taking pictures of swatches and making it resemble the real life swatch. 





I heard that NC37 was a newer shade compared to the rest and also found out that the newer inbetween shades are made more neutral than yellow or pink. I'm not sure if NC35 is more yellow but I do want to try it and see how that compares to NC40. If it isn't I may just have to stick to NC40. I also want to compare NC40 to Nars Stromboli, since Nars Stromboli is the most yellowest liquid foundation I've ever come across and is the closest match to my skintone yet. In comparison to Nars, NC37 is very close to Nars Barcelona. 




One thing I do know for sure is that in all the different foundations MAC sells the shades aren't identical to each other, so you might fall lighter or darker depending on the foundation. So if I'm an NC40 in one foundation I may not necessarily be an NC40 in another.

Here's what MAC have to say about Studio Fix Fluid:

A modern foundation that combines a natural matte finish and medium-buildable coverage with broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 15. Comfortable and long-wearing: lasts for up to eight hours. Applies smoothly, builds coverage quickly and easily. Contains specially treated micronized pigments and soft-focus powders for a super-smooth look that helps minimize the appearance of imperfections. Absorbs and disperses oil. Contains special skin-conditioning ingredients. 

30ml / 1.0 US fl oz 

£21.50


It's bang on! I really believe that MAC describe their products and foundations to a 'T'. For someone who is prone to dry skin, I don't find it too thick and heavy or drying as it's known to be. I didn't get along with the Pro Longwear foundation AT ALL and the Studio Fix is a lot more flexible and agreeable on my skin, I suggest you use extra moisturiser for a less matte look or mix in some liquid highlighter. Less goes a long way, and the formula is build-able. I build up 3 thin layers with my beauty blender and I get a flawless long lasting finish, it's not very matte since I mix in liquid highlighter and on my combo skin it performs very well and keeps oils at bay, no setting needed. 

I wouldn't say it's an excellent foundation, because the formula isn't like the modern foundations that are made nowadays, where you get coverage but it feels lightweight and is lightweight. It is definitely a "backdated" formula but it's not terrible, though it's definitely not my favourite! It does have a smell, but I kinda like it... I like the smell of paint and Tipex so..um... those who don't like the smell of that stuff probably won't be able to stand Studio Fix Fluid! :D

It's deemed as more on the affordable side of highend at £21.50. Colour matching issues aside, I'm very surprised that I got along rather well with this foundation, I don't love it and it's not brilliant. But even though thick and matte aren't technically in my books, it's funny that this one exceeded my expectations! 


You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe