Urban Decay One & Done Hybrid Complexion Perfector in Medium Review

Thursday, June 09, 2016

The scientists at Urban Decay done something right when they made the Naked Skin foundation, if you're a devotee to the foundation you'll know exactly what I mean. The Naked Skin foundation has been my go to foundation since I bought it back in December, so it's pretty much holy grail status for me, I'm halfway through the bottle now if that says anything! You can imagine how excited I was when they released a new base product. I almost squealed in happiness and couldn't wait to get my mitts on the One & Done Hybrid Complexion Perfector, I was itching to see if it gave that superb undetectable feel and finish like the Naked Skin.


Website decription:
One step and you’re done. Instantly blur imperfections and even out skin tone—for beautifully perfected, ultra definition skin. 

The best of both worlds, this hybrid complexion cream combines the benefits of a sheer foundation with the coverage of a tinted moisturizer—and our high-tech, weightless formula feels amazing on your skin. One & Done provides all-day wear and covers a wide range of skin tones. But the best part is how it transforms the look of your skin! Light-diffusing spheres immediately help make flaws seem to disappear. Over time, pores appear smaller and skin appears noticeably firmer and more radiant.

We loaded One & Done with so many nourishing ingredients (including peptides, vitamins and moisturizers), you’ll be tempted to skip your skin treatment. Gatuline® Radiance—derived from the wu zhu yu plant—improves the look of radiance, tone and texture. And SPF 20 protects against sun damage.

Wear alone for gorgeous skin. For the perfect application, use our Optical Blurring Brush. For extra hydration, apply after your moisturizer.

Naked Skin One & Done comes in a sleek, metallic tube with champagne and gunmetal ombré artwork. At 40ml, it holds a lot of product—and the convenient airless pump makes it easy to get out every last bit! 

Shades included: Light (works well w/shades 0.5–3.25), Medium Light (works well w/shades 3.5–4.0), Medium (works well w/shades 4.5–6.0), Medium Dark (works well w/shades 6.5–8.0), Dark (works well w/shades 8.75–9.0) and Deep (works well w/shades 9.75–12.0).



Shade
They currently have 6 shades in the One & Done. Swatches were available pretty soon after its launch so shade matching was quite easy. The website also has shade descriptions corresponding to the Naked Skin shade range. I was considering Medium Light at first because it seemed to look the most yellow and I wear 4.0 in the foundation but after watching a few YouTube videos I saw a lot of people similar to my skin tone wearing Medium. I do regret not getting the Medium Light instead.



After swatching I noticed that the 6 shades are actually quite neutral undertoned, the shade Medium is quite neutral/peachy on me, unfortunately there's hardly any olive in it and my skin needs to have bases with a good balance of yellow and green for it to compliment or flatter it. Any bit of pink, neutral or beige can clash with my skin and look a bit weird. The shade Medium does make my skin look more neutral/peach and looks a little strange against my overly yellow neck but I guess being a hijabi has its pros as my neck is usually covered most of the time! I don't love the colour match but because it's a light coverage base I can easily get away with it and the peach tones do have a slight brightening effect. I would look into getting a sample of Medium Light because it definitely looks more yellow.



Nars ADLW Stromboli, One & Done Medium and Naked Skin 4.0

Texture
The texture of One & Done is really interesting, it's like a thick-ish, smooth, creamy gel, primer type consistency that runs down your hand slowly. It reminds me very much of the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation (review here) and it does have very similar second skin effects on the skin. I've applied with both sponges and brushes and I like how it looks with brushes (I use a flat top slanted dense kabuki), it blends so effortlessly into the skin and it provides more coverage than a sponge. I reckon this is a great in between formula for different skin types, it falls right inbetween oily and dry. This'll be perfect for anyone with normal skin, combination skin, slightly oily and slightly dry.



Feel
Like the CT Magic Foundation this doesn't feel heavy on the skin when applied considering it's thick, it's very smooth and creamy. I do like the feel of it on my skin, it seems to plump, hydrate and smooth out the surface of my skin. You can't really feel it on the skin, sometimes I actually forget I have it on. I use this ontop of my usual moisturiser as it's not enough for me on its own. If you're very oily then prime and set with mattefying products and if you're very very dry exfoliate and layer on the moisture.



Finish
The finish is very skin like, I love how it fills in pores and lines, it really plumps the skin and gives it a smooth finish (like the CT Magic Foundation). On my combination/dehydrated skin it's a satin/demi matte finish with a healthy skin like radiant glow. I have used this when my skins been a bit flakey and I didn't like how it sat on my skin at all, it accentuated the flakes and just sat on and around them. This is definitely a product for my good skin days! 

Coverage
The One & Done will give you upto a medium coverage, it is as they describe a tinted moisturiser. If you like lightweight bases, light coverage and products that allow your skin to peep through then this is definitely for you. It covers the mild redness on my face well, conceals minor imperfections and unifies my complexion nicely and looks very natural. Of course without saying, this looks better on me after I've colour corrected my under eyes and around the mouth.

Build-ability
I find that the One & Done has a setting factor to it, I've noticed that if I want to build it up (once it sets) it starts to get a little bit patchy and then I have to go in with a beauty blender to smoothen it out, it's best to build it while it's still wet if you're using a brush. Like I said earlier you can get a solid medium coverage with this.

Oxidation
The One & Done doesn't really oxidise, I haven't really noticed any major colour change with it. I mean it is a little peachy/orange on me but I feel like when I have a lighter layer on, my skintone does peep through making it seem like it adapts slightly.

Longevity
On my skin type I don't feel the need to set this with powder because it's not at all greasy, it's just the right amount of glow for me without setting. If the weather has been warm that day I'll have a slight sheen on my face by the end of it and that's it, I may have to powder just the t-zone. I think it's because of my skin type that makes this product last long enough on my face. It's a really good in-between formula.

Overall thoughts 
Overall I really like the formula of the One & Done Hybrid Complexion Perfector, it ticks all my boxes for an everyday tinted moisturiser / primer in one. The only qualm I have is the shade, it's just not yellow/olive enough for my skintone, the only reason I'm keeping it and getting so much wear out of it is because the formula is really nice and works so well for me. I knew I was right to be excited about the One & Done, I can definitely say Urban Decay know how to create amazing base products! 

Let me know if you've tried this and what your thoughts are. As always I hope you found this useful. See you around! X

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe