MUFE HD Ultra Fluid Foundation in Y405 Golden Honey

Thursday, November 03, 2016



It's been so long since I've posted anything on my blog, eek apologies, sometimes life gets the best of us. I'm going to review the MUFE Ultra HD Fluid Foundation, I've always wanted to try the original version but never got round to it, oh well, anyway here are my thoughts on the Ultra HD...



What MUFE Say :

Developed specifically for the TV industry's most advanced technology, Ultra HD Liquid Foundation creates a naturally flawless complexion in and out of the spotlight. Invisible under the latest, super-focused 4k lens, this revolutionary foundation features coated pigments that provide medium to buildable coverage with a lightweight, second-skin texture. The formula leaves your complexion with the same flawless results that you’d achieve with a flat foundation brush in a tap and stretch motion.
Benefits
  • Natural-looking finish.
  • All-day wear; doesn’t require touch-ups.
  • Suitable for normal, dry and combination skin types. 
  • Contains hyaluronic spheres for time-released hydration.
  • Available in 40 shades to match all skin tones
Shade
I always thought I'd be the shade 153 in the HD Foundations so I chose 153 for the Ultra HD which is also known as Y405 Golden Honey. The shade is quite off, I'd say it's around one to two shades dark and the undertone is off, it also oxidises and ultimately I look orange! I remember the first time I tried it I couldn't stop laughing at the Oompa Loompa I legit had become! I've been told by some lovely followers on Instagram that I'm probably a shade Y385 Olive Beige or Y375 Golden Sand so I suppose I'll give them a try soon. Since trying the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk in shade 6 I've realised I do need some olive in my foundations as I'm not just yellow but a mix of the two. Golden Honey is an apt name for the shade, it's golden with a tinge of orange/amber/honey. I kinda made it work by highlighting the centre of my face but it's not a practical shade for me as I don't like adding unnecessary layers of makeup if I can help it and funny enough the shade was only a little lighter than my orange corrector haha! You get the picture..

(First picture taken indoors, rest were taken outdoors)


Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless 220, Nars All Day Luminous Weightless Stromboli, MUFE Ultra HD Y405




Texture
The texture of MUFE Ultra HD is liquidy but not overly runny, it will run down the back of your hand. It's also a little elasticy / stringy which I reckon plays a part in the longevity of the foundation. It almost reminds me of the MAC Pro Longwear Foundation which also has this elasticy / stringy texture. I first applied this with a brush and did find it a bit streaky, patchy and difficult to blend, I must have been doing something wrong as I've used a brush since and it's been fine, maybe I hadn't prepped my well enough that day. I've also used sponges and get more sheerer coverage but a nice natural finish too. I recommend you work quickly and in sections as this does have a setting factor. I'd say this formula is good for combination skin to dry skin. It's a good inbetween formula and can easily be altered to suit either ends of the skin type spectrum.

Finish
It's a natural looking foundation, you can definitely get an undetectable finish (obviously depending on your skins condition and the amount you apply). It is like second skin as they mentioned and exudes the radiance that skin would normally let off but with a little extra glow, it's like a normal, skin like, satin finish on my combination dehydrated skin type. I would have to set it with powder because as my oils start coming out I will look unsightedly oily. Though this is skin like I feel like it's not very pore filling and can sometimes stick to any texture in a weird way hence why I feel it needs extra buffing in, so it can also look obvious and not so skin like very easily.

Considering this has been made for HD 4K TV, it definitely has to be invisible to the lens which as you know can be much more critical than the naked eye so you can expect this foundation to be skin like but it's also been made to look good behind the screen. I've actually intentionally taken pictures with this foundation on and that too with flash photography (which I never really do) and it does look good, you can't see an obvious layer of makeup on the skin and does look rather flawless.

Feel
This is an okay lightweight feel on the skin and quite comfortable but not super lightweight. When I touch my face (before setting with powder) I do find it's a bit tacky, I think this has something to do with the longevity factor of this foundation. I find the tackiness is a bit of a giveaway. Even though it has a setting factor it's not really dry to the touch and you can expect transfer. Again this is lightweight depending on the amount you put on, the more you apply the more obvious it'll be that you have product on your face.

Coverage
I'd say this is a light to medium buildable foundation, definitely a proper medium. It evens out the skin and covers minor blemishes really well but lets the skin peek through at the same time. This isn't one of those little goes a long way type of foundations, the more you build the more obvious it'll be that you have makeup on but you will get the coverage. You might have to go in with a concealer for blemishes etc. I don't think this is the best choice for those with problem skin though, I find this formula isn't flattering on skin blemishes, imperfections and texture, so ideal mainly for those with moderately good skin.

Build-ability
As this has a setting factor I'd recommend working in sections, the first time I used it I dotted it all over my face and by the time I got to the last dot it was proving hard to blend and was patchy. Make sure your skin is well prepped so that the foundation can glide easily or else it can apply patchy. This is buildable but like I mentioned in the previous section building layers doesn't necessarily mean more of a full coverage, just more layers as it does become more obvious that you're wearing makeup.

Longevity
On my skin type this can last decently long especially when I've powdered, it has this tacky elasticy texture that I've seen in a lot of long lasting formulas like the Estée Lauder Double Wear and the MAC Pro Longwear Foundation. I find these formulas don't really sit well on my skin which is why I didn't get along well with the Pro Longwear Foundation but this formula isn't as bad but it's definitely not my favourite. Without setting this isn't transfer proof but the formula has a little bit of that "cling" factor on my face.

Oxidisation
This foundation oxidises quite a bit so I recommend getting a shade or two lower than your skin tone. This is already orange on me so it just turns more orange and this foundation oxidises with the air I've noticed, because when I apply the foundation I see it turn orange and then when I blend the foundation with a brush and that top layer of foundation is moved I can see the original colour of the foundation underneath (which oxidises soon enough). Unfortunately I didn't keep enough foundation to swatch the oxidised shade alongside the initial shade but it does oxidise pretty fast.

Overall Thoughts
I gave this foundation many goes and really tried to look past the off shade and tried focussing more on the formula. I am a little confused with how I feel about it, to be honest I wasn't really wowed by the foundation or formula. It is good, I think I can get a nice undetectable no makeup makeup kinda look with this foundation which is ideal for everyday but my Urban Decay Naked Skin has claimed that spot and offers me more. I have more particular preferences which this foundation doesn't really fulfil, I like my foundations to offer a bit more coverage without having to use too much and for it to be skin smoothing and pore filling. Overall it's a decent foundation but definitely not amazing.

Quick Roundup

Pros
-Natural second skin type finish
-Neither dewy or matte, in-between skin like finish
-Myriad of shades
-Can achieve undetectable finish (depending on application and skin condition)
-Moderately long lasting
-Ideal for combination skin types

Cons
-Tacky feel
-Can catch on and emphasise texture
-Little doesn't go a long way
-Not ideal for problem skin
-Powder can stick to tacky texture in weird manner and can look weirdly cakey, shiny and bumpy at the same time

P.S. Apologies if this review is a little all over the place or if the layout is strange, I'm using a new app for blogging and I'm finding it difficult to adjust. xxx

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I've yet to try any base products from Makeup Forever...I love the warmth in the shade swatched here as I find the yellow of Stromboli a little off for me. Its a shame it oxidises though. Great thorough review as usual hun xxx
    Sal | UmmBaby Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like this sweetie, its like a kinder version of Double Wear with a bigger shade range. Thanks lovely xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi, have you tried this foundation in Y385? I heard it's closer to Stromboli than Y405.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might try 123, or Y365. It has the best olive undertone

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Subscribe