DIY Kat Von D Lolita Liquid Lipstick

Tuesday, May 12, 2015



It's safe to say Kat Von D Liquid lipstick in Lolita has become very popular in the recent year. I've had mine for over a year and a half now, well before the hype began ;). There's also been an issue with a new version made which is more brown, I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty worried, disappointed to say the least, I was devastated! I went on to buying dupes, but none would come close! I simply loved the unique colour and the long lasting formula of the liquid lipstick.

I guess I was probably devastated enough to decide to make my own version. I was just experimenting, a casual pass time experiment, I wasn't going to blog about it or upload it on to my Instagram, but I think it's turned out quite well! So I decided to put it out there for anyone interested. I think you'll need a bit of patience to do this if you're interested, I am quite patient when it comes to these things and am always mixing my own lipstick colours and pouring into empty lip balm tubes. I love a bit of experimental DIY-ing, so pass me the finickety tools and spanners any day! 

Keep wet wipes/oil based MU remover and dry tissues on hand, you'll need them! 




Lolita is a dusty rose, mauvey pink ish colour. I've never really come across a colour like this so I guess that's why people love it so much.




For this DIY I examined Lolita and looked closely at the colour and tone, I used Sleek Matte Me in Birthday Suit for the base colour, I found this colour had the right dusty pink undertone to work with and it was obviously a matte liquid lipstick. I compared it to Birthday Suit, I saw it was darker than Birthday Suit and had a bit more reddish pink mauve brown in it. So I looked through my makeup stash and picked out a couple of colours that I thought would make this transformation work. 



I chose Sleek lipliner in Chestnut, it had that brickish red tone in it which would add more colour to the dull and flat Birthday Suit and I chose Rimmel Lipliner in Cuppuccino to darken it as it was a browny mauve colour.



To take out the contents of Sleek Birthday Suit, I took off (with an old pair of tweezers) the little plastic ring that is attached to the mouth of lipglosses so that the hole was bigger, I scooped out as much of the lipstick with the doe applicator and scraped it into a little metal scoop/deep spoon. Use clean fingers to get as much product off the applicator.




I then cut off however much of Sleeks Chestnut that I thought was necessary and added that to the spoon. Because it's a twist up liner it was easy to cut off.

Taking out the crayon from the Rimmel pencil took a little longer, you basically have to snap the pencil with a nut cracker or sharp knife to get the crayon/lipliner out. I added that to the spoon too. Since it's cheap and widely available I wasn't worried about ruining the pencil. 



I placed the mix over a candle and stirred until the mixture was melted, it's best to keep it on a low heat and let it melt gradually or you might risk changing the formula or burning it. I tested the colour and compared it to Lolita, observed and analysed and tweeked it here and there by adding more of a certain colour till I got something that came very close to Lolita! 




Once that was done, using the doe applicator I scraped and pushed it down back into the matte me tube and put the little plastic ring back on. You do waste a itty bitty bit of the mix but nothing drastic. I think this colour is amazingly close to Lolita! I added a good few swatches and think they look pretty identical, my DIY version takes a little longer than KVD to dry fully but it actually stays put longer than KVD! 











If you really love KVD Lolita or can't get hold of it easily in the UK or can't afford it, try this DIY if your patient enough, it works out much much cheaper than KVD Lolita, (around the £10 mark). I'm super impressed by the colour I've made and can rest easy now that I have more of this colour :D. Hope this was helpful! Peace!

UPDATE 2/06/15 : The reason I chose Sleek Matte Me in Birthday Suit was because it was a dusty pink and the closest lipstick shade to Lolita that I owned. Lolita is a dusty pink but more berryish mauvey brownish with a hint of reddish type brightness - whew, what a description for such a uniquely complex colour! So to the dull and flat Birthday Suit I needed to add the mauvey brownish reddish colour, since it already was a dusty pink. If you want to recreate this, you don't need the exact shades and products I used, you can buy a few similar shades to mix up yourself. Birthday Suit will be great since it's a liquid lipstick so you'll get the formula and finish of a liquid lipstick, but any other similar shade will do the job perfectly. Say you own Birthday Suit, you can then simply use a mauve/brown and red lipstick/liner to do this. Or if you have a fair idea of how colours and colour mixing works you can create a Lolita type shade and a myriad of other colours too!  




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe