Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless Foundation 220 Natural Beige Review

Friday, August 05, 2016

Original (Dewy & Smooth) Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in 220 Review HERE

So many of us have been waiting patiently for the Matte & Poreless to arrive on our British shores. Our drugstore shelves were fully stocked around the end of April and many didn't think twice to pick up this incredibly affordable and highly praised foundation, at £6 you really couldn't do any harm! I wasn't in a rush to pick it up, I was curious yes but I knew it wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, though I ended up picking it up only because I had to spend an extra £6 to reach my coupon threshold, so I suppose it was written! 

I've been testing it out and trialling with it non-stop, trying to figure out how I feel about it, I hate to say this but I must be the only person that doesn't love the Matte & Poreless. I don't think it agrees with my skin at all, I can't quite put my finger on why, believe me I've tried, I've tried all sorts of techniques but it simply doesn't look good on my skin.

Description from website:

Fit Me Matte & Poreless has been designed for normal to oily skin. Its blurring micro powders refines pores while shine is being absorbed for a natural matte finish.

Why You'll Love It
Fit Me Matte & Poreless foundation fits both skin and texture for natural finish and poreless looking skin. 

Shade
I picked up the shade 220 Natural Beige which is what I wear in the Original Fit Me, I think they are almost the same though the Matte version is slightly warmer. I've included swatches so you can see for yourself. I do like the initial shade this is on me but it oxidises like it's predecessor and I'm not keen on the oxidation colour, it looks really ashy on me, it's a bit confusing, I can't tell if it becomes too light for my skin or too dark. But I can definitely say the undertone becomes really off! *See Update Below

I've taken some pictures of the swatches in different angles including the Original Dewy and Smooth as well as Nars All Day Luminous Weightless in Stromboli. You can easily see which one is the most yellowest and also the slight variations between both the 220's

I wouldn't mind trying the other shades but as usual we have limited shades here in the UK, being given the option of choosing from a measly 6 shades on the Boots website and maybe 4 in the actual stores... Not one of those shades are suitable for anyone who is darker than me (around nc35 - nc40), this annoys me so much so I can't begin to imagine how annoyed my brown girls actually are! However Superdrug's have 12 shades available on their website with a few dark/deep shades too and strangely it's a mixture of the UK plastic squeezy tubes and the original glass rectangular bottles that we usually associate with the Fit Me Foundation. In-store they have around 3-5 shades depending on the branch, Superdrug really surprise me sometimes, do you find that as well?

The only two available medium shades



Texture
For a foundation that's meant to be matte, this is quite a liquidy formula. You can proper shake the bottle and hear the liquid move swiftly like a liquid would. It's almost the same viscosity as the original Fit Me. Depending on how much you apply it'll run down your hand slowly. It feels quite emollient to the touch but obviously not as emollient as the Original. I've used my favourite H&M BB Cream Brush (review here) with this and it works fine. I find it works nicely with the brush as it pushes and blends the product in well. I've also used a beauty blender and it works fine too, it just absorbs a bit of product. In my trials I've also used my fingers, I used a lot less product than usual and got a much more natural and better finish but it was quite light coverage.

Feel
Being quite liquidy in texture this feels really light on the skin. It does set and sink into the skin nicely, for a matte it's very lightweight and reminds me a lot of the Bourjois Air Matte Foundation (review HERE). They both do very similar things. I have combination dehydrated skin, my cheeks are the most "normal" of areas on my face, my forehead and mouth area seem to be the most dry and dehydrated so I get to judge foundations with my different skin conditions. I think this is definitely excellent for normal to oily skin types, maybe slightly dry too. If you're normal then you'll love this, slightly oily then this'll be a very natural and comfortable wear for you, slightly dry you can easily skip the powder but should definitely stay wary.

Finish
On my combination dehydrated skin type this seems to have semi matte finish, it's not a flat matte but can easily look flat on me if I'm not adequately moisturised or if I've used too much. I also find this gives the skin an ever so slight blurring appearance like the Bourjois Air Mat foundation and also can make the skin look rather smooth once it has settled after a few hours. Around my mouth and even on my forehead where I'm dehydrated this looks quite dry and ashy and it sinks in to my lines, I think this is one of the main reasons that stops me from enjoying this foundation, I don't think this foundation looks good on my skin at all. This also claims to be a "poreless" foundation but it's not as pore filling as I was expecting, the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation (review here) is what I'd call a magic pore filling, skin smoothing foundation or the Urban Decay One & Done (review here). I also find this looks cakey and drying in my dry areas and obviously any texture on my face is accentuated too so ultimately dry textured people might want to skip this foundation.

When I use very minimal product using a brush or fingers, I can actually get quite an undetectable and natural finish and the colour or oxidation isn't bad at all, it doesn't have enough yellow in it so I feel as if my skin looks a little drained of colour but it actually doesn't look half bad. But doing it this way means I don't get the coverage I want and as soon as I start to build more coverage it starts to look really ashy. This foundation just isn't practical for me unfortunately. *See Update Below

Coverage
The Fit Me Matte & Poreless will give you a medium coverage, maybe a full depending on your skin conditions. I can probably build this up to a full, I have some light marks and redness that cover easily. But anyone with more imperfections might find they need some concealer. Around my mouth where I have discolouration and need to use an orange corrector I find that I need to use a lot more of the foundation than usual or it doesn't conceal the hyperpigmentation well and looks quite ashy but because I'm dehydrated there and this foundation is quite unforgiving for my dehydrated skin it makes me look really cakey and gross, I can't build this up to a full coverage on my skin type. Again this was my exact problem with the Bourjois Air Mat foundation, this has the potential of making my textured areas look a lot worse very easily. *See Update Below

Build-ability
You can build this up nicely, it blends easily and sinks in effortlessly, this does have a dry down/setting factor to it but doesn't really get too patchy but it will catch and can get cakey (on me), working on well moisturised/primed skin makes this glide on really nicely but I would suggest you apply one section at a time as this sets and melts into the moisture on your skin, again very very very similar to the Bourjois Air Mat. *See Update Below

Oxidation
This like the original Fit Me oxidises, although with the original I see it oxidise as soon as it hits my skin haha where as this one takes its time. Unlike the Bourjois this doesn't oxidise into a flattering shade, because the Air Mat has proper yellow undertones and was much lighter than my skin it oxidised to a deeper sunnier yellow, this just looks plain ashy on me. I do wish neither of the Fit Me's would oxidise, it's not like us Brits are blessed with a myriad of shades and can go down or up a shade! Mind you I think I have quite oxidisation prone skin so it might just be me or the ph of my skin. *See Update Below

Longevity
Being a semi/demi matte foundation this lasts pretty well on my combo dehrydrated skin. I don't feel the need to powder sometimes, after a while the foundation seems to melt in a bit more and it does look nicer. I may powder a few hours after wearing it but definitely don't feel the need to at the beginning. 

Overall Thoughts
I really wanted to love this foundation, really really! So many people adore this and I really thought I'd adore it too, I was half hoping it would fill the gaps the original Fit Me left but it seems both foundations are just too much hard work for my weird fussy skin. I'd like to say I've tried almost everything to make it work but I feel this is just not for dry textured skin types and it's way too ashy for my liking, I suppose it's not too bad a fail as this was only £6! If you have any suggestions please leave them below, I'd love to hear them. I hope this review was helpful, thank you for reading. xxx

P.S. This has an alcohol kind of smell, unlike the original Fit Me which has a definite scent.

*UPDATE 16/08/16* : Even though I didn't have such amazing experiences with the Fit Me Matte & Poreless, part of me refused to give up on it, I insisted on giving it more go's because I refused to believe I was the only one that disliked it so. I have tried it out again since writing this review and.... I like it, it's okay, I see it, I see why people like it as much as they do. The problems that I was having with it mainly were how dehydrating I found it and how it seemed to exaggerate my textured areas and also the ashiness around my problem areas.

All of these issues have gone down a few notches on me at the moment and I think it's the current weather that's doing this. Even though we're pretty much in the middle of summer here in England, some days I have had to put the heating on as well as cozy up in a chunky cardigan and some wooly boots, yes it got that cold! Currently we are having some warm weather and I've been needing less moisture than usual on my skin. I put this on today and well, it looked so much better! It wasn't emphasising my textured dehydrated areas hideously, the ashiness was hardly there and it looked like a decent enough match,  I really liked the way it looked. It was smooth-ish and looked like a natural matte and I quite liked the warm olive beige colour it was on me. Instead of colour correcting I put a few dabs of Nars RCC in Caramel in the usual areas and it's worked a treat.

Don't get me wrong I still don't think it's the most forgiving of formulas for dehydrated textured skin and I do have foundations that look a lot better on me but I just didn't want to see this foundation in such a negative light. It's obvious that my much oilier skin is liking this foundation a lot more now and the better lighting is somehow showing me that it's a very decent match, it's definitely sitting better on my skin now that I'm a bit more oily so I'll have to reserve this foundation for the warmer days! I feel slightly relieved now that I'm liking it a bit more and that it can keep its place in my collection, gosh so much drama over a foundation haha! Anyway so that was my little update that I wanted to share with you incase I put any of you guys off. Hope it was helpful, if you've had any similar experiences please share them with me. Toodles!

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. What a detailed review specially about the shade selection and texture Zahra. I have problems with foundations oxidising on my skin even though I have combination dehydrated skin. Also, some foundations can make me look flat matte and dry which I hate. I like semi matte and dewy foundations. Which foundations do u recommend for my skin type..I mean I think I have similar skin as urs.

    Ash | www.mstantrum.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it helpful love. Have you tried Nars All Day Luminous in Stromboli? You might like that one. Also I love Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation, try shade 7, it's awesome at skin smoothing and pore filling with decent coverage too! Also adore bareMinerals loose foundations in Golden Medium.

      Delete
  2. Hi! Love your blog and have found it impeccably useful in my foundation journey. Through deduction and how we interact with various foundations, I believe I'm quite close in skin tone and color to you though a bit more neutral/less golden. This post actually steered me away from the Fit Me in 310 (which is often recommended for NC40s but is way too pink) and toward the 220. Wowzers this is the best match I've ever had, and the more beigey undertone/lack of intense yellow actually really works on me. However, I fear it might be a touch too light and still slightly too pink, though it's a little hard to tell since the undertone matches so well. In the US, Fit Me Matte came out with another shade, 228 (soft tan), that seems yellower and a bit darker than the 220. I know the UK often lacks in color selection, but just wanted to see if you've come across it and what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! So glad you found it useful and that there are others like me out there haha! 220 is the closest drugstore match for me, 228 looks a lot more promising but we don't have that shade unfortunately here in the uk. The Instagram user @eatsleepbuymakeup has a really good swatch of 228. Also the Matte & Poreless formula only really works for me during the summer otherwise it's a bit unforgiving for my dehydrated textured problem areas. Once again thank you xxx

      Delete
    2. Sorry I meant the user @rzkmdn on Instagram has a good swatch

      Delete
    3. Thanks for such a quick reply! I actually ended up trying the 228 as I had something to return to walmart anyways. I found the color a bit too orange/peachy for me, but honestly that happens a lot with yellow foundations as they often have warm yellow pigments rather than cool or neutral yellow which is closer to the yellow in my skin. Not as bad as other foundations I've tried but the more beige undertone of 220 suits me far better (though it's not perfect). I think the 228 may work better with your more golden color if it's ever within your reach! My skin just has the tendency to make everything look too peachy or orange. Even NARS Stromboli has too much orange when it sets on me.

      Delete
    4. Yep thats also my problem, yellow shades are too warm yellow on me sometimes, they almost still look peachy on me, I do find cooler yellows with distinct olive/green match me better, what I like about 220 is how it literally disappears into my skin, though it is a bit too light for my hyper pigmented areas, wish we had 228 here so at least I'd be able to swatch it. Thank you for your insight xxx

      Delete
  3. wow.. the amount of stalking that i have done on your blog would make any sane person gone crazy.. i live in Pakistan and its a NIGHTMARE trying to find shades that match my skin. i read your blogs, researched on Youtube and bought myself Maybelline Matte and Poreless in 220, but it makes my skin look dead, without the base my skin actually looks more radiant.
    i then thought that maybe the color was off, i recently tried out a friends MAC NC35 and NC40, the NC35 seemed a bit too light, NC40 blended in seamlessly but then again after a couple of hours my skin oxidised and started looking dead..
    i just dont know what to do??
    what color shade am i??
    pagal ho jaoon gi, no high-end brands have their products in Pakistan so its always a hit & trial getting products via online shopping pages or through someone going abroad, its a blind test game
    What should i do if im between NC35 and NC40?
    im desperate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, don't go pagal just yet, though I know the feeling! There's not much I can help with without being able to see your skin tone if I wanted to recommend you good matches, so I'll ask you a series of questions instead, what is your undertone? Yellow, Neutral? Do you have any green olive undertones in your skin? You sound like you have my problems too, fit me Matte and poreless 220 also looks weird on my skin tone! I'm a mix of olive, yellow, Beige and brown so it's hard to find a good mix. But I have strong yellow olive undertones. See if you can try a MAC C40, I'm not sure if they do that shade in Pakistan but ask the assisstant if they have a C40, the "C" range is more olive yellow and the "NC" range is more peachy warm yellow. Hope this helps and please do feel free to ask me more questions. Thank you

      Delete
    2. HALA I HAVE MEDIUM YELLOW/OLIVE SKIN TONE ..AND IN PAKISTAN its very difficult to find the right shade with right undertone...the body shop mineral foundation in shade fiji sand is good for yellow/olive undertone but for my oily skin ..its dewy finish doesn't look good...recently i bought L'Oreal 24 hr matte in shade 24(golden beige) ...shade is good but undertone is more on pink side...

      Delete
  4. Can you give me one drugstore foundation that really worked for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Sorry for the late response, I've been having trouble replying to messages on certain devices. If you're still interested, I really liked using the EX1 foundation in the shade 5.0 and 6.0. xxx

      Delete

Popular Posts

Subscribe