My Tips for Winter Skin / Dry / Dehydrated Skin

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

If you're anything like me, hydration will mean a lot to you. I struggle with dehydration generally so when the colder months hit us I feel the struggle that much more. If you're dry or dehydrated you most likely have a damaged moisture barrier so it's important that you're treating your skin with the right products that fix and replenish the moisture barrier. Here are some tips that I follow to keep my skin feeling soft, supple and somewhat normal during the winter months (as well as throughout the year). If you have a dry dehydrated skin type like myself you'll also benefit from these tips outside the colder months.

Some of the products that I use to tackle my dry / dehydrated skin
Hydration
This ones a no brainer guys, everyone knows water is so so important for the human body. I try to drink as much water as I can (of the recommended amount) during the day, it really makes a difference for me. I can tell if I've been slack with my water intake as my skin/body starts to feel really taut and I feel the dehydration inside me. Water is always my first choice of drink, one thing that helps me keep it up is by keeping a bottle with me all the time. Trust me once you get into the habit of drinking water you'll realise you won't be able to be a day without it.

- I try and drink 2 litres a day. To work out how much water you need to drink for your body size, you have to half your body weight in ounces. e.g. 100 pounds = 50 ounces = 1.4 litres

AHA's
I have what I call "lazy skin", I find my skin's a bit sluggish at renewing itself so I tend to get tight, rough and dull really quickly. When my skin is dry I find even the thickest, richest moisturisers don't do squat for me unless I get rid of that top dead layer of skin. That is why I can't live without acids especially in the winter as they do such a wonderful job of exfoliating the top layer of dead skin making any product I put on top of it sink in wonderfully, and not only that, but AHA's also help lighten dark marks, evens out the complexion, helps tackle breakouts and gives your skin a renewed glow. If you're prone to dryness or flakes or think you have lazy skin like mine, look into AHA acids, it'll seriously change your life.

- Remember to use sunscreen when using AHA's!

- Some of my favourites are The Ordinary 30% AHA + 2% BHA, The Ordinary 10% Lactic Acid, Bravura 15% Glycolic Acid Night Treatment, Bravura 10% Glycolic Acid as well as their 2 acid toners and Rodial Skin Brightening Mask. Lactic Acid is a good option for those with sensitive skin. (reviews HERE)

- I use chemical exfoliants 2-3 times a week depending on how dry and rough my skin is feeling.

Oils and Creams/Moisturisers
Once you're sure you've gotten rid of any dead skin cells you need to nourish and feed your skin with moisture. Our skin needs oil as well as water to keep it healthy. Moisturisers are usually a mix of oils, water, humectants and emollients of varied amounts, though you might want to start considering using extra oils alongside your moisturiser if you find your usual moisturiser isn't cutting it. I find using oils really helps make my skin feel uber soft. I add 2-4 drops of oil in my palm and then press into my skin, then I go over with my moisturiser, not only does this lock the oil into the skin but it gives an extra boost of moisture as well as added skin benefits. I do this throughout the year if I feel my skin's feeling extra dry. Also make sure you find a moisturiser formula that works for you, I'm so fussy with moisturiser formulas but I'll know instantly when I've found the one, I'll experience instant replenishment and comfort as soon as I've applied it.

- Using a blend of pure cold pressed oils is really good for the skin. I'm currently alternating between B . Enriched Facial Oil (review HERE), Mahogany Naturals Hydrating Repairing Oil and The Ordinary Rosehip Seed Oil

- For moisturisers I'm currently enjoying The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + Hyaluronic Acid, its the ideal moisturiser if you want to give your skin all the right ingredients that'll keep the surface of your skin moisturised and protected. I also love Bravura Azulene Moisturiser and Pestle & Mortar Hydrate Lightweight Moisturiser (reviews HERE)

- Favourite sunscreen/daytime moisturiser is Boots Soltan Dry Touch Face Cream SPF30 (review HERE)

Hyaluronic Acid
I like to think of Hyaluronic Acid as a sponge in my skin, it's a natural humectant (like glycerin), humectants attract water and Hyaluronic Acid can hold up to a 1000 times its own weight in water. Sometimes when we moisturise, some of the moisture can leave our skin by evaporating into the air but Hyaluronic Acid will hold onto that moisture really well so we don't have as much moisture loss and it also takes this moisture to the lower levels of skin which helps keep our skin looking plump, firm and healthy. Hyaluronic Acid comes mostly in serum forms so you'd use it before your oils and moisturisers.

- I'm currently using Pestle & Mortars Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum. I'll move onto The Ordinary's version next as it's much more affordable.

Layering Products
This tip is essential for keeping my skin soft and hydrated throughout the day and has had the biggest impact for me personally (after acids). I'm usually the type to cleanse, moisturise and be done with it for the day (my night time routine is usually extensive), but sometimes this simple 2 product routine just isn't enough for me so I've learnt to add more products to my day time routine that really build a sturdy layer of hydration which really quench my skins thirst and also doesn't result in too much moisture loss throughout the day. Instead of doing a 2 step routine I do up to a 5 step routine, I know that sounds excessive but I'd rather do this routine than feel that horrible tight and rough feeling throughout the day and do remember it's not always 5 products, sometimes it's less depending on how my skin is feeling at the time. So I cleanse, sometimes tone, then follow with Hyaluronic Acid Serum or another serum, then a few drops of oil and then seal it all in with moisturiser and if I need I'll use a hydration mist during the day. Layer your products guys!

- Also avoid using products that strip the skin, believe it or not stripping cleansers are one of the biggest culprits. Your skin shouldn't feel tight or dry after you've cleansed, if it does then you know the cleanser's not right for you.

- Most serum formulas are quite hydrating, so even if its isn't described as a hydrating formula, layering the serum with your routine will make a difference as well.

Hydration Mists
Which brings us to our next tip which is using hydration sprays/mists during the day, there are so many options available out there to choose from. Hydration mists usually consists of water, humectants and other skin benefitting ingredients. I'm not overly keen on mists that have too much glycerin in them, I don't mind a little bit of glycerin but I can't stand the overly sticky sprays. So I've made my own glycerin free version which is quite easy to make and contains only a few ingredients. Heres the link to that post. 

- I'm currently enjoying the B. Confident Hyaluronic Acid Spritz, I also love The Body Shop Vitamin E Mist

Humidifier
My final tip to help keep your skin hydrated in the winter is getting yourself a humidifier. I've used humidifiers for the longest time, I love how they keep the air in the room clean, fresh and fragrant but also like how extra beneficial they are in the winter months. I generally use the humidifier almost everyday and really feel the benefits. The radiators are usually continuously blasted in our house during the colder months as the older members can't cope with the cold. It does get extremely warm and toasty in the house and I find this dehydrates me a heck of a lot because the air is so so dry, using a humidifier puts moisture back in to the air which the radiator heat dries out and so in turn your skin isn't feeling as parched. You can buy a humidifier for as little as £10 so it's quite affordable.


- My ones from Dubai and it happens to tell me the time as well :D but you can easily get a standard simple one from eBay or Amazon.

Personally for me these tips are fool proof and an essential part of my routine, I seriously can't be without them but I obviously can't guarantee that they will work for everyone. Definitely experiment and see what routine works for you, you may need to make more effort in one area than another. If you have any tips or products that you'd think I'd like myself then please let me know. As always I hope you find this was helpful. Toodles! 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hello from your fellow dehydrated, fussy skin buddy lol! My skin is as dehydrated as it is able to produce oils. It's so difficult. I am a huge fan of layering products especially in the winter and will continue to add oils/balms right to the moment my head hits a pillow. Love the dehumidifier that does it all ;) xxx
    Sal | UmmBaby Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow dehydrated confused skin type buddy! Struggle is real ain't it? Yes defo, humidifier helps so much!! Layering has been a God save! Xxx

      Delete

Popular Posts

Subscribe