MAC Next To Nothing Face Colour : Medium Plus, Medium Dark, Medium Deep Review

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Hello all! I actually don't know how to start this review, it's been so long since I've blogged I'm feeling a little out of sorts. So MAC had launched the Next To Nothing Face Colour (let's call it NTN for this review) a little while ago and after reading the specs I really wanted to try it. Lightweight, sheer, skin perfecting, skin smoothing and a barely there finish! What's not to like? I've tested it out and played about with it, here are my thoughts...


What MAC say:

An ultra balmy fluid infused with nourishing ingredients and opalescent microspheres for a youthful glow that looks lit from within. This sheer tinted cream can be used under or over foundation, or to bring a translucent luminosity to skin. The cushiony, smoothing texture glides over skin, diminishing the look of imperfections and fine lines, while moisturizing and protecting skin. Skin looks immediately retouched!

• Provides hydration
• Provides instant radiance
• Features a comfortable, creamy formula
• Nourishes skin
• Immediately improves the look of fine lines and wrinkles
• Visibly refines skin texture
• Smoothes and softens skin
• Oil-free
• For all skin types

Usage
• May be used under or over foundation, or worn alone on skin.
• Pump onto fingers.
• Apply directly to skin using fingers or brush.

Shade & Oxidisation
I managed to get a few samples in the shades Medium Plus, Medium Dark and Medium Deep and have tested them all. I was really hoping MAC would make these wearable shades for me but part of me just knew that the shades wouldn't be olive or yellow enough. I was right, unfortunately even though these are sheer tints none of these shades work for me, the undertones are so warm and peachy and make my complexion look orange, even the medium plus surprisingly. It really doesn't work for me but I don't understand who it would work for because it gives my skin a strange orange tint. It's a pity because I really like the product and concept itself. I haven't noticed any major oxidising as it is a sheer product but I feel it deepens a little more orange. Even when I've tried it on top of another base, it alters the shade a bit and I really don't need that, it's hard enough finding base shades that work for me so I don't need to make it more difficult.

I've taken pictures of swatches alongside my most yellowest foundation Nars ADLW Stromboli in various lighting so you can get a better view and understanding of the shades. In the swatches you can see how dewy and glossy the formula is.






Texture
This has an interesting uber smooth gel texture, it's really light, it's balmy and has a whipped elasticy consistency. The texture is almost a mix of primer, lotion and oil. I would say this texture and formula is best for those with dry dehydrated skin, it's emollient, hydrating and comforting and gives the skin a plump and hydrated feel. I reckon if you have oily skin this will be too emollient for you and will most probably make you feel and look greasy. Again this has used similar technology as the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation, the Urban Decay One & Done, the Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude and the Clinique Beyond Perfecting foundation. This formula seems to be getting more and more common, perhaps because it's so skin perfecting and lightweight but keeping the finish so skin like and natural. Compared to the others this offers the most lightest of coverage and is the most emollient and hydrating.

I've used both a brush and a sponge to apply and don't mind either. The sponge I find is not only faster to blend but it gives a smoother poreless finish but does absorb product and sheer it out a little which isn't ideal because this product is quite sheer already, I tend to use a sponge when I want to apply the NTN all over my face and am not too worried about over consumption of product. I like to use a brush when I want to apply a tiny amount for proper no makeup / invisible looking makeup and want to use the NTN sparingly and strategically because the brush doesn't absorb as much product as a sponge, both work fine it just depends how you want to use it. If you want to use it on its own then I suggest you use either a brush or a sponge but if you want to use it over foundation like MAC have suggested then I recommend a sponge as it doesn't disrupt the makeup underneath and gives a smoother finish than a brush.

Finish & Feel
On bare skin the NTN feels lightweight and hydrating like a light emollient moisturiser. It's a little bit tacky but does set and dry a little after a while. It does have an emollience to it which is why I think this'll be more suited to a drier skin type. But this emollience is more detectable when you use this atop of another product. I've used this on top of my Nars ADLW Foundation and it makes it feel obvious that I have something on my skin when the Nars ADLW is quite lightweight, it's the emollience that gives it away. Which is why I wouldn't want to use it as a base top coat, it's lovely and lightweight on it's own.

With regards to finish this has a smoothing, dewy, poreless, plump, glowy finish on the skin. I love this aspect to it hence why I'm a little annoyed about the shade issues, I love me a glowy skin smoothing base. On it's own it emits a nice amount of dew to the skin and I'd only powder strategically. On top of a matte foundation it does add some luminosity and glow but I'd only want to apply it to the parts of my face where I want to look glowy and not everywhere. I think this would actually make for a nice tinted moisturiser or to use in place of your moisturiser, it's definitely hydrating enough.

Coverage & Build-ability
The NTN offers light barely there coverage to the skin, it's like a proper skin tint. It's called Next To Nothing and correctly so, it can get away with being completely undetectable on the skin so if you like that kind of product I think you will really like this. It simply perfects the skin, takes down redness and evens it out ever so slightly whilst emitting a glow. I reckon if you have fabulous skin with not much to cover and you're a little on the drier side, this'll be your best friend. Anyone with problem skin looking for coverage will find no use for it unless you wanted to use it as a primer or wouldn't mind layering it as a dewy top coat.

I find building the NTN increases the coverage a teensy but it does increase the dew too and you can end up looking a bit greasy if you over do it. I would say be careful of applying this over a foundation because I found it disrupted my makeup underneath and made me look a little cakey and patchy. For a product that is so undetectable and skin perfecting it really isn't worth it for me, I personally think one layer of this on the skin is the best way to get the most of this product. I would also use this as a hydrating primer, it's perfect for those that need a little extra hydration and smoothing under their bases.

Longevity
In terms of longevity I find the NTN does have a setting factor where it sort of settles itself on to the skin, but I think you can't really judge this product for longevity as it's such a sheer barely there product if you get what I mean. I would set the 'dew' with a light dusting of powder and that too strategically on the face just to keep the natural luminosity of the product. I think if you have oily skin this'll just melt off your skin after a while though perhaps if you were to set it with a powder then it'll obviously last longer. Equally if you don't have oily skin I would recommend using a powder like perhaps the powder that they released with it just to keep the synchronicity of the products in that line.

Overall Thoughts
I love the concept and the formula, it's perfect for the days when you want to apply something light and barely visible to perfect the skin a little. MAC have described it exactly how it performs. People with dry skin or looking for some glow will really appreciate this formula. I do wish they had a yellow shade to offer, I actually wouldn't mind an uncoloured version either as the smooth, plump and glowy finish is lovely on it's own, hence why I like it as a primer! I personally don't see the benefit of using this on top of another product because it doesn't really work for me but I suppose if you have a matte base that you like and wanted to add some radiance and glow then this would be the product, that's if you don't mind layering, I would just buy a foundation that does all of that in one to be honest instead of layering. I think this is a nice addition to MAC's lineup of base products, it's the better version of Face & Body for me as I much prefer the NTN's finish, it's just a pity that the shades don't work for me. That's it folks that's all I have to say about the Next To Nothing, as always I hope you found this review helpful.

Pros
- Exactly as MAC have described it to be
- Hydrating
- Skin smoothing
- Dewy finish
- Lightweight
- Very natural
- Best for drier skins

Cons
- Colours are too warm and orange
- Not ideal for oily skin types
- Not ideal for problem skin that need coverage
- Not super long lasting (but not really meant to be..?)


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe