Orange Colour Correcting Concealers Comparison Review - That's a lot of "C's" there!

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Note: The images have been taken from my Instagram, but more pictures and swatches will be added soon, I'm away from home so don't have all my makeup with me. Apologies!

Orange Colour Correctors have been a somewhat life changing....change for me. Hyper-pigmentation has always been the bane of my life and of many woc. So much research had gone into looking for solutions to get rid of the ghastly grey shadow that appeared around my mouth after applying foundation. Apart from trying to tackle the problem with specific skincare (which hasn't helped that much tbh) I have resorted to cosmetical products to help camouflage and counteract the ashiness that wasn't there prior to applying any skin tone coloured product on that area, be it concealer or foundation.

Back then there weren't many options when one looked for orange concealers and if there was then it was high end only, Bobbi Brown Peach Corrector, MAC Studio Finish in Orange, Eve Pearl Salmon Concealer were the only few I knew of back then. I remember wanting the NYX Orange Concealer for forever but if you're British you know how hard it was then to get hold of that concealer or any NYX product for that matter. Now, thank God, we are literally spoilt for choice as both High End and drugstore have produced an array of Colour Correctors for us! Now we can stop deluding ourselves that our under eyes are actually concealed (or around our mouths) and properly brighten those dull and dreary areas. Not that I was deluded haha, I always knew something wasn't right when my under eye looked better without any product on or that my mouth area was looking unflatteringly grey.

It was because of this very reason that I stayed away from foundation, since I realised my natural bare face looked better without. My makeup knowledge has expanded a lot since and I have gotten hold of some orange correctors and now can't wear liquid foundations without it, it doesn't completely make the darkness disappear but it definitely helps reduce the ashiness A LOT. I also have skin texture around my mouth peculiarly where the discolouration is, so this hinders me from using a lot of product. I can't get full on coverage nor can I build up a lot of product there unfortunately. Too much product in that area looks cakey and builds texture easily which draws more attention and that's a no no from me. If you don't have skin texture problems then you can get very good results with Colour Correctors and possibly conceal them properly!

Here I have 3 Orange Correctors all from the drugstore, I only have drugstore atm not because I can't afford high end but because I want to see if cheaper options deliver good results. I may purchase high end if I feel like experimenting in the future but currently the one I use now is doing me fine.


In chronological order of purchase first we have:


Sleek Hide It Concealer SPF15 in the shade 02. 3 grams. £3.49 (link). I bought this years ago for ordinary concealing purposes back when I had little knowledge on makeup and shades. Tried it on my skin and realised it was a dumb colour on me and so it disappeared to the back of my makeup draw. Fast forward a couple of years, rediscovered it and pleasantly surprised at the orange tone in it realised that I could use this for colour correcting purposes! I've used it a plenty and have a tiny stub left. It done the job pretty okay-ish, it's creamy, light to medium coverage, has some yellow tones in it and isn't as stark orange, bit slippey slidey and not very pigmented as the other two I will mention, smells like cheap makeup, it's not the best of quality, cheap packaging and the cream stub keeps falling out. It done a decent job at colour correcting so I can't bash it too much but it's not great.


L.A. Girl HD Pro Conceal in Orange Corrector. 8 grams. £5.00 (link) (depends on where you buy from). I have a whole review on this (HERE) so I won't go into too much detail. In comparison to the Sleek one it's A LOT more pigmented and much better in quality. Whopping 8 grams a little goes a long way, full coverage, you seriously don't need a lot, it's VERY pigmented, liquid formula, thick and creamy, more orange and reddish in tone, I think this does 'set', better quality packaging, though I'm not a fan of the brush, unhygienic and can be uncontrollable. I liked this when I first started using it but later started realising I was having issues with it. I do like this but I feel like I can't use too much or the orange tones peek through from whatever I use on top, I also find it quite a dark orange, like there's some red in it. I think this would work better on darker skin tones because of the depth of colour or you can be a little more heavier with your concealer or foundation on top, which I can't do because of too much texture build up on my skin. I still need to play around with it more but I like the next one better so I'm not too worried if I don't love it.


L.A. Colors Cover UP! Pro Concealer Stick in Pure Orange. 3.4 grams. £3.99 (Beauty Base). This was a spontaneous buy, I guess part of me wasn't totally satisfied with the L.A. Girl concealer to want to try another corrector and with such an affordable price tag it wasn't much of a risk. So I picked it up and I'm glad I did! I really like this corrector concealer, a swipe under each eye and around the mouth, I find it so convenient and easy to use in its' twist up tube. It's a creamy gel like consistency in solid stick form, the formula is pigmented enough and is build-able to full, very smooth in texture and glides on the skin easily, this doesn't have the 'setting' quality to it that the L.A. Girl has, it's a nice pure orange shade, lighter than the L.A. Girl one and I find this works better on me, the orange doesn't come through and it feels lighter on the skin than the L.A. Girl. Though I do feel it has a bit more texture if built up than the L.A. Girl concealer because I don't need a lot of the L.A. Girl one (very pigmented so it leaves more of a stain) where the L.A. Colors is waxier. Plastic packaging but is much sturdier than the Sleek, though saying that the lid on mine has a crack, it doesn't come off but I have been using this quite a bit.

So there you have it, my little but in depth comparison of the 3 Orange Correctors I own. My favourite being the L.A. Colors one, well up until I discover a new favourite! Hope this is helpful. Peace!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi dear, have you tried the Kryolan 303 for color correcting around the mouth area especially? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi great reading your post

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Subscribe